John Henry Newman
John Henry Newman was a great Oxford scholar and had been very involved with the Oxford Movement. It was in 1842 that Newman came to live in what is now the Newman College. There he set up a small Anglican semi-monastic community and in the chapel on the 9th October 1845 was received into the fullness of the church by Dominic Barberi.
In the parish church is the portrait of Blessed John Henry Newman by Emmeline Deane the original of which hangs in the National Gallery, London. There is also His letter found in the church archives.